Sunday 5 February 2017

My Own Imaginary Friends

My main imaginary friend when I was a small child was a rat called Templeton, he was a character from the book Charlotte’s Web. I think I had the film on VHS? Templeton was at least as big as me, so maybe 3 – 4 foot? He seems slightly terrifying to me now as an adult.

Templeton had an active social life, even beyond my own imagination. He would, of course, join me on my walk to school, play on the swings in the park. And possibly slightly more unusually, join my grandfather in the pub on a Sunday evening.

Other imaginary friends, included an entire civilization that lived in an envelope, they were possibly paperclips? I got very upset when people touched my envelope, but that couldn’t be helped as this micro universe was named ‘pick-up’.

Then I had a dragon that lived in my bedroom wall, by the side of my bed. I was slightly scared of the dragon, but he had promised not to eat me. I think the deal was he could eat any of the other imaginary creatures that also lived in my bedroom? Some days it was rather busy?

Of course, the bottom of the garden contained fairies, and a magic worm called Woo. Many wars were waged and monsters defeated amongst the vegetable patches. I briefly had a door handle named Donnie, and remember being very upset when nobody came to his birthday party. I promise you I had real human friends as a child too. But I am very pleased that my imagination still has that spark that no doubt brought my slightly more unusual friends to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment